Saturday, December 10, 2005

Fight School

Welcome to Fight School the blog for Gallowglass Academy. Gallowglass Academy is a martial arts and training school in northwestern Illinois (near Rockford, IL) Gallowglass Academy is dedicated to providing training in Historic European (and American) Martial Arts (HEMA) as well as modern martial arts and law enforcement training.

My name is Allen Reed. I am the Director of Training for Gallowglass Academy. For those of you who don’t know me I have over 25 years in law enforcement both at the local and federal level. I have been doing Oriental martial arts for over 30 years and teaching jujutsu for over 20 years.

I have been a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) for almost 30 years where I was first introduced to the idea of HEMA (yes, I know SCA fighting isn’t really HEMA). I have been doing SCA armored fighting off and on since I joined the SCA. I first started doing fencing in the SCA about 15 years ago. I slowly learned more about HEMA through my interest in fencing.

Currently I am also a volunteer re-enactor at the Apple River State Historic Site in Elizabeth, IL. This site is established where one of the battles during the Black Hawk War of 1832 took place. Amongst my other duties on the site is re-enacting th role of one of the local militia men during the Black Hawk War.

For those who have not found the Gallowglass Academy website I encourage you to go to www.GallowglassAcademy.org to find out about our training schedule.

This blog is set up so I can jot down notes about on going projects and things I have found during my reading and other research that really don’t belong on the website. I hope you will find this information helpful in your search for information about martial art training and historic re-enactment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home